Sunday, July 22, 2007

Playdates

It's really funny how little ones grow and mature so quickly. It was just 3 months ago that my little one was looking forward to spending time with her friends Kelly & Jackie. Kelly is 7 and Jackie is going to be 5. My little one is 4. We decided to have a playdate on Thursday because my little one would not be able to attend Kelly's b-day on Saturday. So, we went out and bought her a present and 3 little cupcakes for each of the girls. It was apparent from the beginning that their was a social / maturity gap. When my little one gave the girls a cupcake, each one said that they didn't eat sweets. Keep in mind that the older one was just finishing a Butterfinger Crisp. I'm not sure if my little one heard it but even if she did, she didn't fully understand. Later, they went out to play ball. Because my little one is a little younger and not as skilled at catching the balls, the older girls complained that she was too slow at the game and went into the house to play something else. My little one came in ready to cry. I told her that it was ok and that the girls just wanted to rest. Even the girl's mother tried to encourage the girls to go out to play but they both said that they didn't want to. My little was stubborn too. She kept nudging me to ask to have one of her friends come out to play on the swing with her. It was a no win situation. We distracted all 3 by asking them if they wanted to go out and play with the scooter. They agreed. The 2 older girls were much faster and my little one was slow. Eventually, she stopped riding because she couldn't keep up. Kelly and Jackie's mother suggested that I bring my nephew over which was a wonderful idea because my little one and nephew are really close. That was the answer to our troubles. When my little one saw him, she was so happy. They played and played very well until the end of the evening when they fought for the computer. Oh well. It's 8:45pm and time to go home anyways. My nephew fell asleep as soon as he jumped into bed and my little one was fast asleep even before we arrived home. :)

No comments: